Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Life's Many Sunsets

Sunset presents a different picture for me. Most recently I spend the beginning of my day watching sunsets. I’m one of the very lucky few to have a corner office with an exquisite view of the sunset. Sunsets are like yellow-orange curtains of embers closing in on the last splashes of our daylight lives. It’s strange but wonderful at the same time to watch the slow virtually creeping changes of light, colors and darkness that mark what to most people is the end of the day.

As the sun slowly but surely starts its sleep where the sky meets the horizon I reflect about what my day has been: The new acquaintances, the petty arguments, the meaningful conversations with friends, the funny things happening at the pantry, the lectures from the boss, parting words to co-workers, an act of charity, the smell of perfume, the aroma of coffee, the right words said at the wrong moment, the words still left unspoken, the many ways I said “I Love You”, the sound of rain on the glass pane, the chatter of pedestrian on the way home, and then the beautiful sound of piano slowly floating in the air....

I wonder if my Marilyn is looking at the same sunset and thinking of me. Is she seeing the same beautiful colors and patiently awaits as the day sleeps. I wonder. For that few moments time seem to slow down as I watch the last rays of sunlight disappear behind the lines of the horizon and come to the reality that night is indeed taking ownership of my day.

To some, sunsets are stories of things gone, things lost, of life’s many ending moments. In many stories of lore, we find sad, lonely tales of grieving, of broken hearts, of love ones departing, of happy days coming to a close, and always the feeling of longing. Sunsets are affirmation of the world turning, of tides ebbing, and the loose understanding of change. Many dread the ending of the day manifested by the sunset for to them it is the end of what is supposed to be a happy or wonderful day. Many a tear has fallen over the excruciatingly painful transformation of the last moment of the day into a rolling tide of darkness as if tomorrow is not worth anticipating.

We must see ourselves as a witness to life’s grand plan by seeing the sunset as mere transitions of our days, of life’s ever changing moments and a curtain closing to mark the opening of a new show.

I have always look at sunset as spectacular sight for the eyes like a tiny show of natural colors. I have watched it with my children, my wife and friends. I intend to see more of it in this lifetime. Sunsets are just as beautiful as our sunrise. While sunrise is the awakening of our day, sunset is a send off that starts a journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment